October 2, 2012

Top Ten "Older" Books I Don't Want Anyone to Forget About

Top Ten Tuesday is  a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish
Top Ten "Older" Books I Don't Want Anyone to Forget About
10. Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld - This was one of the books that really got the steampunk ball rolling in YA so I think anyone wanting to look at the roots of steampunk should read this book!
9. Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater - One of the best werewolf books written in a time where werewolves were still fresh(ish).
8. Matched by Ally Condie - I'm actually hosting a read-a-long right now for this, and you should totally go sign up (link in the sidebar). This was one of the best dystopians I've ever read, and it really showed that you can write a dystopian that isn't all action and can be more poetic.
7. The Invention of Hugo Caberet - When my mom bought this for me I was so sure I was going to *hate* it, but it ended up being one of my favorite middle grade reads! A true gem.
6 . The Vampire Diaries by L.J. Smith - Though the CW TV show is still going strong, I don't see this as one of the vampire novels people are picking up too much anymore, which is a shame.
5. Wither by Lauren Destefano - This was simply an amazing dystopian. It changed my thoughts on the world forever.
4. The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter - I love the Greek mythology in this one! A 'Percy Jackson' for teens!
3. The Faerie Ring by Kiki Hamilton - This is an awesome historical fantasy! Even though Kiki has switched to self publishing now, this is not one that should be overlooked!
2. Uglies by Scott Westerfeld - Another Scott Westerfeld book on this list! This is one of the first books written in the more modern period of YA dystopians, written even before the next book on this list!
1. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins - I don't think this one is going anywhere. 

17 comments:

  1. You know, I'm really hoping that Hugo Cabaret is considered a classic, years from now. It should be. Solid list :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Uglies. It was the start of the dystopian craze. Still have to read Levithan, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Hugo, too. I kind of wonder about The Hunger Games, though, and whether or not it truly has longevity when we're taking about fifty or hundred years in the future. It will definitely be interesting to see what future generations think of our popular authors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good selection of books!!!
    I've been wanting to start the Wither series, but
    haven't bought them yet. Also, I've heard wonderful things about The Invention of Hugo Cabaret - one of these days I'd like to check it out at the library. :)
    Mary DeBorde M.A.D.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think the Hunger Games is going anywhere either. Great choices.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have the Uglies series on my list as well! Love those books. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wholeheartedly agree with The Hunger Games- it was second on my top ten and I can't imagine what would happen if people forgot about it.... obviously some people don't love it, but I don't think it would do the world a lot of good to just forget about it. Not that that's ever going to happen with the millions of advocates for it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have an amazing list. There are definitely a lot of books I agree about - and some of them are still on my TBR pile.

    My TTT @thedailyprophecy

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Hunger Games, yes! I didn't include these because I was defining 'old' a bit differently. ;)

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm really questioning your definition of "older books' lol. Most of those are very new by my standards. I do love the vampire Diaries, though. Damon beats Edward every time ;).

    ReplyDelete
  11. I still have read The Invention of Hugo Cabret. I really want to, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

    Awesome list! :)

    Quinn from Quinn's Book Nook

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I loved Wither. Fever was good to. I am eagerly awaiting the conclusion of the trilogy! Thanks for sharing your list.

    My Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've read half of these, and of the half I've read, I agree--they are so great they should not be forgotten.

    And I love the festive blog header, Benji!

    ♥Jessica(:

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have Leviathan sitting on my shelf this very moment, waiting to be read. I may just have to put it higher in the queue. I also keep telling myself to read Wither, but I haven't gotten around to it. Great list!

    My TTT: http://shelversanon.blogspot.com/2012/10/top-10-tuesday-top-ten-older-books-you.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've read a few of these & I must make sure I read the others.

    Even my Mother read THE HUNGER GAMES.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for this list! I see I have a few must reads. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi i had to read this review and see what books you wrote down. I do have to agree with you The Hunger Games didn't go anywhere LoL. As for your other books i read almost everyone of those except for a couple but i own all of them. I am not a blogger or author just a person who loves to read. That helps me with my disablity. I am able to forget about reality for a little while. Thanks for list it was interesting. Joannie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the comment, I love and appreciate each and every one! As of March 2012, The Non Reluctant Reader is an awards-free zone. I'm honored to be considered, but do not currently have the time to pass the award on. Comments are the best award I can receive though! If the comment requires a reply, please be sure to check back for one. If it is a feature/meme leave a link to your post and I will stop by and comment if I get the chance!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Under the Dappled Shadows kit by Lorie Davison