October 15, 2012

The Evolution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

The Evolution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin
Release Date ~ 10/23/12
Format ~ ARC
Publisher ~ Simon and Schuster Books for Young Readers
Source ~ Swapped
Purchase It!
Mara Dyer once believed she could run from her past.
She can’t.
She used to think her problems were all in her head.
They aren’t.
She couldn’t imagine that after everything she’s been through, the boy she loves would still be keeping secrets.
She’s wrong.
In this gripping sequel to The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, the truth evolves and choices prove deadly. What will become of Mara Dyer next?
    Whoa. Just whoa. Gimme a second to contain myself. Because that was a book like no other. The Evolution of Mara Dyer was one of the best books I've ever read. Like ever. In the history of the world. I loved the first book in the series, The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, which was also my favorite read of 2011, but after reading The Evolution of Mara Dyer I'm like "Unbecoming who?" Because The Evolution of Mara Dyer was just incredible. Utterly incredible. Full of perfection. Full of epic. Full of WTF and OMG moments. Full of everything awesome.

   The book starts just after book one ended with Mara placed in a  psychiatric ward, which was actually kind of darkly funny. She had to deal with her parents, doctors, nurses, ect who all thought she was insane, and I know if I was in her situation I'd be head-desking quite a lot. These are the moments when Michelle Hodkin acts the most brilliant. In the small, darkly genius flashes between all the epic.

   Both Mara and Noah are GREAT main characters. I love their wit and sarcasm, and they play off each-other quite nicely. They're a spectacular duo that you can't help falling in love with! Though all parts of The Evolution of Mara Dyer are awesome sauce, the characters are what make it truly shine!

   The Evolution of Mara Dyer also contains a truly expertly written villain. Though I can't tell you who the villain is as that would be spoilerly, he/she is really evil. Like serious evilness.

   Michelle Hodkin has a great writing style! I love the variation in tone and urgency! It's really great when you can read a book that feels like you're being told a story out loud, and The Evolution of Mara Dyer does just that!

   Read this series. If you haven't, then read it. Or die. It's your choice. Living is fun though. So read it. Like pronto.
Cover Comments:
I really love the underwater themes in this series! And the dark blue is perfect. Word going around twitter is Michelle even got signed markers that match the color to sign books with. Me want.

 


17 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read this! I'm one of the few people that thought the first book was just okay, but I've heard some awesome things about this sequel. Great review! :)

    Nicole @ The Reader's Antidote

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, The Evolution! I am so pumped for this book to come out! I'm giving it away (as you well know) which means no one knows when I'll get it for myself. But seriously, you're right--Mara and Noah are amazing characters and Michelle Hodkin is a freaking genius. I can't wait to read this book!

    ♥Jessica(:

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so jealous that you had the chance to read this! I can't wait to read it, so I'm really glad that you loved it :)

    - Ellie @ The Selkie Reads Stories

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so excited to read this! I LOVED Unbecoming and have been waiting not so patiently for Evolution to come out. I need more Noah Shaw in my life. *swoon*

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO envious! I just can't wait to read it; I'm dying to get my hand on this one!! :3

    Sara @ Sara In Bookland

    ReplyDelete
  6. AHHH!!! You're making it so hard to wait to read this one. I love your review, you get the point across without spoiling anything. Great review! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am jumping up and down for this book! I'm re-reading the first book because my brain is failing in some parts of the book! I am very jealous right now also :l.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is awesome that you loved it so so much!! You really sold me on it with your review:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hadn't heard much about this book before so I'm glad I read your review and have more of an idea of what a great story it is.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have a fabulous way of writing reviews!!
    I already know I will love this book!! Waiting for tomorrow when it comes out!!

    Addie @ READioactive Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer and have been waiting impatiently for The Evolution. I agree with you that one of the best elements of Michelle Hodkin's books is her awesome character development. Thanks for a great non spoilery review :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I REALLY want to read this book now! I've heard such good things about it. Thanks for reviewing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lucky! You're able to read this. I am so excited to get my hands on this book.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great review! I loved this book so much too!! Though I haven't really even been able to put any of it into words. There is just something about Michelle's writing that is so unique and brilliant. I was shocked by the villain, totally surprised! I'm not sure why, though, because Michelle does such a great job with twists in the story that I should have known it was something crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Michelle Hodkin took it to another level in her squeal to "The Unbecoming Of Mara Dyer" and its as amazing as the first. I am half way through the book now and I cant put it down :)

    Zaira Lynn (Merchant Cash Advance)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved every moment of The Evolution of Mara Dyer. Even though Mara Dyer is the reason I can't look into the mirror after I take a shower, I will read anything by Michelle Hodkin.

    Have you viewed Alaska Fishing Lodge

    ReplyDelete
  17. The pacing was fast. The tension was palpable. I couldn't wait to see what happened next. Truly a terrific read! Thank you, Ms. Hodkin! This is one of the best books I've ever read. You'll be on my auto buy list from now on.

    Zia
    Why not see Alaska Fishing Lodge

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the comment, I love and appreciate each and every one! As of March 2012, The Non Reluctant Reader is an awards-free zone. I'm honored to be considered, but do not currently have the time to pass the award on. Comments are the best award I can receive though! If the comment requires a reply, please be sure to check back for one. If it is a feature/meme leave a link to your post and I will stop by and comment if I get the chance!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Under the Dappled Shadows kit by Lorie Davison