September 8, 2011

Variant (ARC)

Here I am with another ARC review from Around the World ARC tours (link at the end of the post). This time it's Variant by Robinson Wells. 
Summary: Benson Fisher thought a scholarship to Maxfield Academy would be the ticket out of his dead-end life.

He was wrong.

Now he’s trapped in a school that’s surrounded by a razor-wire fence. A school where video cameras monitor his every move. Where there are no adults. Where the kids have split into groups in order to survive.

Where breaking the rules equals death.
But when Benson stumbles upon the school’s real secret, he realizes that playing by the rules could spell a fate worse than death, and that escape—his only real hope for survival—may be impossible.


This book looked a lot like Dark Eden (read my review) with a few plot twists. I enjoyed Dark Eden but found it not very memorable and definitely nothing special. But this book's summary has everything I love -- kids killing kids like in The Hunger Games (yes, I am gruesome, thanks for noticing) and people being kidnapped. For me that equals plot gold.
The book starts with our hero, Benson, very hopeful about Maxfield Academy, but after ten minutes there, he can't wait to escape! Everyone but his "gang", The V's (Variants) are either complete losers who deserve their fate at the school or a group of students who've been corrupted by the school and almost want to stay at Maxfield.  I was a little disappointed by that setup, the V's can still be the best group but all the other groups don't have to be complete losers. 

I really liked the character of Benson and all the V's. Benson was one of the few who knew what had to happen. He was a natural leader, and I enjoyed reading about him a lot. He makes the book worth reading. 
The writing style was really fast-paced and exciting. This book never has a dull moment! He knows just the right moment to let us find out a secret and just the right moment to leave us with a cliffhanger, pure brilliance!

This book will scare you. This book will sometimes make you laugh. This book will never bore you. This book will make you want more!
5/5
Cover Comments: I like the mix of blue and black and how they're just one light spot on the whole thing (light spot being the red on the girl's sweater) but I think it would be cool if the "TRUST NO ONE" was underneath the title instead.



This book is out October 4th, preorder it on Amazon.

3 comments:

  1. I really like the sound of this! Also a bit of a fan of gruesome books so your not alone! Going on the tbr list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HollyG- I really enjoyed it! Thank you, I was thinking people were going to think I was a total loser!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I put this on my TBR list now, too. I almost signed up for the ATWT, but it will be out in a couple weeks. I'll just buy it or get it from the library. :o) Thanks for the review!!

    Mickey @ imabookshark

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the comment, I love and appreciate each and every one! As of March 2012, The Non Reluctant Reader is an awards-free zone. I'm honored to be considered, but do not currently have the time to pass the award on. Comments are the best award I can receive though! If the comment requires a reply, please be sure to check back for one. If it is a feature/meme leave a link to your post and I will stop by and comment if I get the chance!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Under the Dappled Shadows kit by Lorie Davison