March 26, 2011

In my Mailbox (2)

Okay so I'm back from D.C.! This week I don't have too many books to report but here are the ones I do with a summary. Here it goes [from bottom of the stack to the top]:
Red Riding Hood by Sarah Blakley-Cartwright: Because the movie version of this comes to my home town soon [I know right, a movie that came out Mach 18, doesn't come to my town till now; I guess that shows you what a "rinky-dink" town I live in] I had to read the book since I really want to see th movie. Here's a summary:
The blacksmith would marry her. The woodcutter would run away with her. The werewolf would turn her into one of its own.
Valerie's sister was beautiful, kind, and sweet. Now she is dead. Henry, the handsome son of the blacksmith, tries to console Valerie, but her wild heart beats fast for another: the outcast woodcutter, Peter, who offers Valerie another life far from home.
After her sister's violent death, Valerie's world begins to spiral out of control. For generations, the Wolf has been kept at bay with a monthly sacrifice. But now no one is safe. When an expert Wolf hunter arrives, the villagers learn that the creature lives among them - it could be anyone in town.
It soon becomes clear that Valerie is the only one who can hear the voice of the creature. The Wolf says she must surrender herself before the blood moon wanes...or everyone she loves will die.
The Candy Shop War by Brandon Mull: I can't seem to get enough of Brandon Mull, author of Fabelhaven so I had to get this. Hope it's as good as the Fablehaven books were. Here's a summary:
What if there were a place where you could get magical candy? Moon rocks that made you feel weightless. Jawbreakers that made you unbreakable. Or candy that gave animals temporary human intelligence and communication skills. (Imagine what your pet would say!) Four young friends, Nate, Summer, Trevor, and Pigeon, are befriended by Belinda White, the owner of a new candy shop on Main Street. However, the gray-haired, grandmotherly Mrs. White is not an ordinary candy maker. Her confections have magical side effects. Purposefully, she invites the kids on a special mission to retrieve a hidden talisman under Mt. Diablo Elementary School. However, Mrs. White is not the only magician in town in search of the ancient artifact rumored to be a fountain of youth. She is aware that Mr. Stott, the not-so-ordinary ice cream truck driver, has a few tricks of his own.
The Magician's Nephew by Kate DiCamillo: I always love anything Kate DiCamillo writes [my personal favorite is The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane] so I finally bought this. Hope it's as good as everyone says it is! Here's a summary:
When an elephant busts through the roof of the opera house, crushing the legs of Madam LaVaughn in a magic trick gone awry, the whole town is abuzz, especially young Peter. He was just told by a fortuneteller that an elephant would lead him to his sister. Years earlier it was his mother's dying wish that he protect her but his guardian, the military man Vilna Lutz, insists that she didn't survive. Now he must find a way to free the elephant, which requires the help of the incarcerated magician, poor Madam LaVaughn, and a kindly neighbor policeman.
Anyway there's what I've gotten in the last week or so. I hope they're good!
Thanks for Reading,
Benji

1 comment:

  1. all of these sound good. can't wait to hear your reviews of them!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the comment, I love and appreciate each and every one! As of March 2012, The Non Reluctant Reader is an awards-free zone. I'm honored to be considered, but do not currently have the time to pass the award on. Comments are the best award I can receive though! If the comment requires a reply, please be sure to check back for one. If it is a feature/meme leave a link to your post and I will stop by and comment if I get the chance!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Under the Dappled Shadows kit by Lorie Davison